October 24, 2006

the lower side of 30

Although I have another one forming, I decided to take a departure from philosophical and spiritual exposes (which doesn't look right without the accent on the 'e') to bring you this birthday exclusive.

March 15th.

In history, this day is marked most significantly because that was when Julius Caesar was assassinated. Ah well... For me, it was the day that my parents' lives changed for the third time in relation to children.

My mother gave birth to me in a clinic in Salerno, Italy that was run by nuns so my dad was not allowed in the delivery room. My grandma and the little nuns are the only people that saw me in my first moments. I like to think of them as little nuns. In fact, the whole thing is a bit of a cartoon for my brain. The clinic was/is called La Clinica Del Sole (which translates to the Clinic of the Sun). So I like to think that my mom went to some make-believe sunland with all these little dwarf like nuns with big smiles on their faces catering to her every whim as she gave birth to me. It's perhaps a bit creepy, but it's sort of beautiful in my mind.

Birthdays are sort of bizarre. They are special, but they can be really disappointing. Yet another well marketed, corrupted event in life:guilt, expectation, expensive cards, e-cards, gift cards, belated cards (got a few of those, he he he...). But in their prime, birthdays are most certainly a celebration.

As a Christian I sometimes struggle with my feet still being on this fallen soil. I long to walk/float on the golden streets of Heaven. But for what I know in my brain about the things I feel, see, hear, experience, I have an enviable existence and I am grateful to the Lord for His many gifts.

A friend of mine wrote me an email and said: "This world is a better place because you are in it" Now THAT is a compliment. Beautiful words of love and friendship. Thought provoking as well: What if I had not been put on this earth? What sequence of events would be thrown off course because of the lack of me? You wouldn't be reading this entry... perhaps you would be clipping your toe nails? Or you might have decided to go for lunch early, and missed a phone call that... you know what I mean?

Crap. I'm going back to the philosophical nonsense. Dear Brain... please chill out...

So I am now 27. Twenty-seven (I wanted to see what it looked like written out--it's kinda long. Well, longer than two)

My 30+ friend assures me that 27 is miles away from 30 (liar). But I don't really mind. I feel the healthiest I have ever felt (with my healthy eating and bootcamp-ing), and I like getting older. I think I have a good mix of responsibility/ respect and youth/ childlikeness. Am I where I thought I would be when I turned 27? Certainly not. But my expectations/ goals/ dreams have changed so much over the years. I feel like I am in a maze with bumper walls. I go in one direction, then I experience a taste of it and get bumped into another one. It's kind of a treat. It would be boring to have A, B, & C marked out and just head there without passing GO or collecting $200.

This is long. I'm stopping now. So where am I?

In Spring. Shaking off the laziness of winter.. seeing brand new buds of opportunity beginning to flower. The transition has been a bit overwhelming, but that builds character, so bring it on. I'm not super peppy happy at the moment, but I am EXTREMELY... Grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home