practicality vs. eccentricity - a guide to aging
I have finally been able to pin point a process that happens as one ages. We're all aging, but I am referring to those that at first glance, you could consider to be grandparents.
I was on the bus the other day (I learn a LOT of things on the bus), and an elderly lady boarded the bus with frazzled, thin hair appearing to be subject to much static electricity (probably enough to start an electrical fire). Her face was pale and wrinkled, but you could barely assess that as she had two large circles of deep rose blush on either cheek. Her eye shadow was a brilliant blue that filled the space from her eyelashes to her eyebrows. The little cracks and crannies that made up her thin lips were filled with a creamy red lipstick out a little bit further than her natural line. Her outfit was mismatched and she had miscellaneous brooches in random places. The cutest part about her, was that she walked with confidence. I feel quite convinced that when she looked in the mirror, she saw Marlene Dietrich gussying herself up for a movie premiere.
Back on the bus again. I had barely made it. I did the classic bus run, awkwardly grabbing all my stuff together, running in shoes that are not meant to be run in and sweating in clothes that are not meant to be sweat in. Grrrr.
As I huffed and puffed in my seat, the bus drove to the next stop where two practically interchangeable people boarded. They were an elderly couple that matched head to toe. I watched them in wonder as I noticed their matching beige Tilly hats, thick goggle-like sunglasses that were meant to perfectly snap in their bifocals inside. They had (probably the perfect amount of) layers for clothing: t-shirt, collared shirt, matching blue cardigans. Cotton khaki pants, walking shoes, and they were prepared to hit the streets. They were cute in a nauseous kind of a way. In all my analysis of my two sets of specimens, I realized that we can choose which part of us gets whittled away as we age. We either lose the ability to clue in to our boundary lines between normal and eccentric, or we make every controlled decisions to facilitate a very ordered life.
Which road will you choose?
>>>eccentricity - deviation from an established pattern or norm;
especially odd or whimsical behavior
especially odd or whimsical behavior
I was on the bus the other day (I learn a LOT of things on the bus), and an elderly lady boarded the bus with frazzled, thin hair appearing to be subject to much static electricity (probably enough to start an electrical fire). Her face was pale and wrinkled, but you could barely assess that as she had two large circles of deep rose blush on either cheek. Her eye shadow was a brilliant blue that filled the space from her eyelashes to her eyebrows. The little cracks and crannies that made up her thin lips were filled with a creamy red lipstick out a little bit further than her natural line. Her outfit was mismatched and she had miscellaneous brooches in random places. The cutest part about her, was that she walked with confidence. I feel quite convinced that when she looked in the mirror, she saw Marlene Dietrich gussying herself up for a movie premiere.
>>>practicality - being in effective operation; behaviour chiefly from the
point of view of use and function
point of view of use and function
Back on the bus again. I had barely made it. I did the classic bus run, awkwardly grabbing all my stuff together, running in shoes that are not meant to be run in and sweating in clothes that are not meant to be sweat in. Grrrr.
As I huffed and puffed in my seat, the bus drove to the next stop where two practically interchangeable people boarded. They were an elderly couple that matched head to toe. I watched them in wonder as I noticed their matching beige Tilly hats, thick goggle-like sunglasses that were meant to perfectly snap in their bifocals inside. They had (probably the perfect amount of) layers for clothing: t-shirt, collared shirt, matching blue cardigans. Cotton khaki pants, walking shoes, and they were prepared to hit the streets. They were cute in a nauseous kind of a way. In all my analysis of my two sets of specimens, I realized that we can choose which part of us gets whittled away as we age. We either lose the ability to clue in to our boundary lines between normal and eccentric, or we make every controlled decisions to facilitate a very ordered life.
Which road will you choose?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home